Sandon is a small village just off junction 17 of the A12 in Essex, adjacent to Great Baddow and close to Danbury. It was known for an ancient oak tree covering most of the village green. This rare Spanish oak was planted in 1888 to mark Queen Victoria's Golden Jubilee. It was removed for safety reasons in 2000 after collapsing due to long-standing fungal infection. Three new oak trees were planted on the village green to continue its legacy and mark Queen Elizabeth's Golden Jubilee. Sandon has a secondary school, which is on Molrams Lane, the border between Sandon and Great Baddow. The Sandon School in Chelmsford, Essex is an 11-18 mixed comprehensive academy school of 1200 students. Sandon's only pub is The Crown, which is situated on the village green opposite St Andrew's Church. Foundation stones from a long-demolished village primary school can be spotted in the walls of the pub car park. There are two pits located next to the A12. These are the results of gravel extraction during previous decades.
- Notable types
- Other types
- Location Statistical region Administrative Division English civil parish Inanimate Agent Dated location Abstract Topic